Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Been thinking a lot abt this issue lately – The balance btwn work and life. How do you really achieve tt?

So far my work doesn’t require me to stay late, though I do bring home less critical work/reading material. My boss is alright abt this, and seeing how freaking far away my workplace is, I’d much rather go home on time thankyewverymuch. I’m lucky in tt sense, I don’t get paid much but at least I don’t have to work long hours, which compensates it IMHO. Of course I also have colleagues in other Div/Dept who work late, like till 8pm kinds, and since a lot of ppl in my grade tend to stay back, I sometimes feel like a slacker for going home on time.

But yah, how does work take the life out of you? Two ways: 1) requiring you to work insane hours 2) requiring you to go overseas…

I guess the insane hours is self-explanatory, you work late, go back late, miss out on spending time with ur family/friends/pet/google box etc. hence you don’t have a life, unless you really absolutely LURRVE your job then in which case it becomes your life.

The 2nd point requires abit more explanation. For some, (and even for me) getting posted overseas is a fantastic opportunity, you get to go a foreign land to absorb their culture, work with ppl of varying nationalities, learn a lot more abt yourself, living expenses included. Plus not to mention tt it’ll look great in your CV as well. But yet at the same time, you lose out on your family, friends and even the great food in this little red dot/island. And if you have a significant other, it makes a huge strain on your r/s no matter how strong it was before. Trust me on this one. Have been thru two long distance r/s, one didn’t make it, the current one is going to be on and off indefinitely…

I guess it depends on your priorities in life. Which makes it hard because we tend to measure our self-worth by comparing with other ppl. Currently, I feel like I’m not doing well because I don’t need to do OT, I’m not as busy as a lot of other ppl and hence I’m not useful, kinda morbid/masochistic but it’s true.

Bah. Am rambling on and on and am going totally out of point. I hate tt my brain doesn’t function well these days. It sucks when I just go blank when my boss asks me something, but if someone else asks me I am able to answer (even if I have no idea wat’s going on, I still have some sense in pretending tt I know wat I’m talking abt) Must be going senile/lack of mental stimulation. .

Arghz…

1 comment:

mystrappyshoes said...

'Bah. Am rambling on and on '.. this sounds familiar babe! hehhe u caught my disease!! *hug* have a great day at work tom, go drinking on fri ya!