Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Almost kena conned…

During lunch yesterday, I received a call from NBYN Image Consultants informing me that I’ve been recommended by a friend to receive a free makeover session. I can “leave all my cash and credit cards at home and just go and enjoy, after which I can bring home two shots for free…” Sounds almost too good to be true right? So I asked her for the name of my friend who recommended me… she told me it was a list whereby the recommenders name need not be written down. Didn’t think too much of it, and she asked me to come down on Vesak Day for the shoot. Since she told me it was trial only basis and I was in a good mood, I decided to accept, but requested to shift the date to next Tuesday since I was on leave whole day but had nothing to do in the afternoon. Then my handphone went flat and I didn’t put in a spare battery until 1 hr later, during which I received abt 8 missed calls, cos she needed to get some details from me…

After about 2 hrs (I wasn’t around to pick up the phone) she called, then asked for more info… What I can remember of the conversation is below.

NBYN: What age group are you in? 25 – 29?
Me: No. 24.
NBYN: May I have your occupation?
Me: Executive
NBYN: Can I have your full name as in NRIC and fax number so I can fax you the invitation?
Me: (gives my full name). Can you just email me the details?
NBYN: Sorry we don’t do emails.
Me: All right then (gives fax number). Do you all do Resume-type photos? (I don’t have a professional one taken, thought since I was there, might as well do it)
NBYN: Oh you mean those passport size photos? Oh we don’t do those…
Me: Erm ok. What do I have to bring for this shoot?
NBYN: Oh we will do two styles: Casual and Fun, you can bring 2 sets of your own clothes, or we have costumes that you can wear…
Me: Huh? What kinda costumes?
NBYN: Oh we have Korean, Western etc etc costumes…
Me: Ok (totally not interested in those). Then I’ll see you then… Bye…

I received the fax, and found out that the company is called Naughty by Nature. Weird name I feel, so I went to google it. And found tons of bad reviews in forums, blogs etc. To summarise, many many people have been called by this company since 2004 cos they’ve “won some shopping centre lucky draw (when pressed they can’t name the shopping centre), or was recommended/referred by friends”. If they realize that you’re young, e.g. someone told them she was 21, she can’t go unless she brings her parents along (presumably so she can have cash to pay for the package). If you bring friends with you, they can’t wait there for you, unless they join you for the shoot (so you won’t have someone to drag you away). Though they say the shoot is only for 2 hrs, it takes up to 6 hrs and they don’t let you leave in between. And the standard of the makeup and photography is lousy, the photoshopping sucks and the printing is bad (photos with white background got stains at the back). They’ll hard-sell you and give a lot of pressure for you to sign a “lifetime membership” and to give you your photos (price varies, approx $2000) if not they’ll delete it on the spot (or they tell u tt they delete it). Some readers were asked to dress in skimpy/revealing outfits and give sexy poses. There was one who was even told to remove the top of the gown and even the bra (and pose behind a pillow). But who knows if they really delete the photos (or what they do with it after?)

I usually take forum postings with a pinch of salt, but if so many people are complaining then there really must be something wrong. To me, the “I don’t do passport photos” was weird, cos it’s additional income for them, especially if I don’t end up purchasing anything. Of course there’s no such thing as a free lunch, when you go for free facial/spa package of course they’ll promote their packages. Totally understandable, but there has to be a limit somewhere, and the more I read, the more I feel disgusted. So yes, though I have an appointment, I’m not gonna turn up, and I’m not even going to call them to cancel the appt, since as what I’ve read, there’ll be tons of people there (50+) getting conned at the same time, so I think they won’t miss me. And if my phone rings non-stop, I’ll just not pick up…

In the meantime, if you’re free on Jun 5 afternoon, let me know?

No comments: