Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happiness

In the current downturn, it’s easy to be depressed. Yesterday I was reading a blog entry, that we aren’t really as poor as we think, and that we should be happy for the things we already have.

Today, the DJ on Class 95 morning show was sharing tips on staying happy in bad times, and he said that he has started keeping a list of things that make him happy since Monday, and is amazed at how the list keeps growing (it’s now Thursday).

Inspired, here’s my list of things that make me happy, appearing in random order:

- A simple home-cooked meal prepared with love
- A good workout, the type that you sweat profusely, and feel like swearing at the sadistic instructor for putting you through all that misery
- Lovely view of the sunrise from my bedroom window as I’m getting ready for work
- A good and stimulating lunch discussion with my colleagues (topics ranging from hybrid animals, ladder theories, Chinese names of countries, reproduction)\
- Spending time with family just catching up and talking about everything or nothing at all
- Having fun with my friends
- My FAGs: sports sessions, food, gatherings at Shuyun’s house, birthday surprises, Chek Jawa + Zoo + many others
- Travelling: carrying tons of stuff, getting lost and going round in circles, walking and walking and walking, seeing and experiencing new things and learning new stuff about our traveling partner(s), all that food, oh the scenery!
- A good song to make me smile, feel hyped up or anything
- Receiving my items from sprees, especially if that cheap dress turns out to be really fabulous
- Relaxing and reading a good book
- Rushing through the weekends doing tons of stuff
- A clean house after doing all that mopping, scrubbing and ironing
- The smell of freshly laundered clothes
- Our nightly hugs and cuddles
- Singing songs off key while driving in the car
- Anything sweet (but not overtly sweet): chocolates, fresh fruits, cakes, ice cream
- Stroking and playing with pets, especially my little rascals kink and wink
- The bus driving past the beach on my way home from work on a lovely evening

The list doesn’t end here and will be updated periodically.

What makes you happy?

No comments: