Monday, February 12, 2007

Memories of CNY

Though not as romantic as Christmas, I’ve always loved CNY for it’s traditional (and sometimes obiang) festivities. I mean who can resist all that yummy new year goodies, new clothes and ang bao? Not to mention Bak Kwa and pineapple tarts, the best inventions EVER.

Even the associated “irritants” like spring-cleaning, superstitions and the recent invention of techno-CNY songs that assault your ears when out shopping for goodies, are somewhat bearable and add to the festive mood. While out shopping at Chinatown last Friday, I discovered (to tj’s amazement) that I can remember A LOT of CNY songs, even down to the lyrics! Either I remember lyrics really well, or my communist primary and secondary school background is showing it’s evil roots ;)

My family is pretty big on superstition and tradition. So while we don’t really do well on ang bao earnings (cos for our family, ang bao is just a token sum), we have tons of food (we pray like a lot of times to the different Chinese Gods) and even have a gathering i.e. gambling session.

CNY is also a time when my deceased grandmother would “visit” us, especially at night after we baked all our pineapple tarts there’ll be this characteristic smell tt will float past her room so that everyone there would know that she’s back.

Now that I’m older, part of the new year preparations fall onto me. Helping my mum buy and prepare new year goodies, some home improvement mini-projects around the house, and yes I’m still supposed to clean my room.

One week left to CNY. Let the mad rushes to cut hair, buy clothes and shoes, stock up on food and goodies, clean the house, change money to put into ang baos, wash and polish the cars etc. continue…

No comments: